1. Cut felt background and two layers of nonwoven interfacing
(total dimension = 10" (25.5 cm) wide x 24" (61 cm) high) following
pattern and tab cutout dimensions.
2. Line up all three pieces (felt and interfacing) with felt
on top. Pin all over to keep three pieces together. Fold tabs to
back, making sure the ends will be caught into rick rack trim if
stitching. Otherwise, glue ends of tabs to top of the back.
3. With a pencil, mark grid for rick rack following pattern
above. Sew or glue sections of rick rack on grid...start with middle
sections and end with one long piece forming the border. Remove
4. Using the contrasting felt color and stencils, trace and
cut out "Learn to Count" letters. Cut ten 1" (2.5 cm) x 1 1/4" (3
cm) rectangles. Glue letters and rectangles down as illustrated.
5. Using fabric paint, draw the rest of lettering (refer to
illustration). Let dry for recommended time on paint instructions.
6. Sew on buttons in random placement for each category, catching
all three layers.
7. Drill a hole into each end of ruler 1/2" (1.5 cm) in from
all edges. Slip ruler through tabs. Pull lacing through holes and
tie...or slip dowel through tabs and tie cording onto each end.
Provided by: Got Buttons!